Thursday, January 12

The worst part is that they probably all went away feeling like they had done me a service.

One of my favorite parts of work is operating the wrapper. (I work in the bindery, mostly putting coils into books and then boxing them.)











Anyways, once a certain number of boxes are accrued, we have to drag the palette over to a complicated machine which wraps it in plastic, and then move it over to an aisle to be shipped out or whatever. End of background information. The palette is heavy and difficult to maneuver, but I'm perfectly capable of doing it.
So, today, as on most days, I go to wrap a palette of books.

Phase 1: Pulling it down the aisle
I am successfully yanking the cart out when I am approached by random man #1.
Him: Don't you have any guys back there to do that?
Me: Oh, I've got it.
Him: Hmm. You're awfully small to be pulling that big thing.

What am I supposed to say to that? "Thanks?" "Darn?""You're right, I seem to have suddenly lost the ability to pull it?" I just laugh and keep walking.

Phase 2: Encountering an obstacle
A minute later, I discover another palette of boxes in my way. There's enough space to go around it, but just barely, and it requires some careful maneuvering, with this thing:






which admittedly I am not very good at.


Enter man #2.
Him: Do you need help with that?
Me: No, I think I've got it. Look, I'm almost there.
Him: Here, let me do it.
Me: (sigh) Okay.

Phase 3: Maneuvering onto the wrapper
This involves pushing the cart uphill onto the platform, and it needs to be done very straight. I begin to line it up when man #3 walks by.
Him: Do you need help with that?
Me: No thanks. I can do it.
Him: (skeptically) Let me see you do it.
(I orient it and push it up)
Him: Oh...you can do it.
Me: Yeah.

Phase 4: The conclusion
I finally wrap the palette. Apparently I appear capable of this because no one interrupts me (today). But, naturally, as I go to pull it down, Man #4 feels the need to intervene. (Admittedly this one is my age-ish and has a British accent.) This done, I finally return to my work.

I get that they're just trying to be helpful and all, but really now? If I needed help, I would ask for it. I'm not totally incapable (and neither are women in general.) End of rant.

Smerf.

1 comment:

  1. Palette jacks are NOT the easiest things to maneuver, no matter WHAT your gender. I've worked with them for years, and know what a pain in the neck they can be. However, having a slight build does NOT mean that you can't do it. It's a matter of leverage, experience and (more than you might think) determination. Upshot: You're perfectly capable of handling it. Oh, wait, you HAVE! ;-D

    ReplyDelete